Thursday, May 12, 2011

Rah! Rah! Sis-boom-bah!!

I’ve never considered myself “cheerleader material”.  As a shy kid, I was too self-conscious to get in front of a crowd of people and recite perky little chants while jumping and flipping around.  I think I’d rather poke myself in the eye!  However, like most young girls, I was fascinated by the pretty, outgoing, popular cheerleaders.  Their lives seemed so glamorous!  They were always having fun, laughing and flirting with the boys.

Little did I know that one of the most important jobs of a wife and mom is being a cheerleader.  A husband counts on a wife to support him, encourage him, and cheer him on.  Over the last 20-some years, I’ve cheered my husband into taking jobs, quitting jobs, opening a business, closing a business, buying a house, and renovating a house.  When a decision needs to be made, we discuss it, we make a decision, and I start cheering.  Kids, of course, need Mom to be a cheerleader, too.  It starts with shouts of joy when your little one takes his first step or learns how to use the potty, and continues to adulthood, when they’re making decisions about college, marriage, buying a home, etc.  Never underestimate the power of a cheering woman!
thumbs up
Every once in awhile, I find myself a little weary of being the cheerleader.  Don’t get me wrong, I love to support my hubby and kids.  I want to be the one that they can always count on to be in their corner.  However, it can be an emotional rollercoaster at times!  Today, I find myself surrounded by doom and gloom.  We seem to have a “perfect storm” of emotion – hubby, son and daughter are all needing some cheer today.  It's hard to deal with them all at once!  So, tonight I find myself weary of the negativity.  My even-keel, “go with the flow”, “take it in stride”, “keep it cool” personality has reached it’s limit for this 24-hour period.  I’m tired of being positive and encouraging.  More than likely, they’ll be back to their happy selves tomorrow, after a good night’s rest. 

So, I say, “Go to bed.  Wake up in the morning to a new, sunshiny day.  We’ll tackle all this tomorrow.”  Which, in actuality, is a little bit “cheerleader-ish” when I think about it.  Almost makes me want to break out in song, “The sun’ll come out tomorrow!  Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, there’ll be sun!” 

So . . . I guess I am cheerleader material.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

You sure ARE Mary,you have become the Proverbs 31 woman! And we need to see more of each other!
Wait till you cheer a little Grandchild along. That's even sweeter! Can't get enough of my
Sarah!