Friday, May 6, 2011

Mother’s Day

This Sunday is Mother’s Day.  I love, love, love being a mother!  I was MADE for it!  To date, it’s the best thing I’ve done with my life.   I was blessed with perfect, beautiful babies and was given an amazing opportunity to teach them how to walk, talk, count, share toys, respect authority, contribute to society, communicate and share their lives with others.  That’s a huge responsibility – but I love every minute of it!  And, I’ve done a great job, if I do say so myself!  (Could I be a bit biased?)  My kids are smart, funny, caring, responsible adults, who make the world a better place – at least my world! 


As much as I love being a mom, Mother’s Day is bittersweet for me.  My mom was amazing – and I miss her everyday; but Mother’s Day makes me miss her even more.  It causes me to look back 054and think of sweet memories with her.  I remember as a preschooler, we would play the “rhyme game” when traveling in the car.  “What rhymes with tree?”  Then we would list every possible word we could think of that rhymed.  I remember she would sometimes sit in a chair and let me brush and style her hair.  As a high schooler, we’d go clothes shopping, play games or go for walks together.  We especially loved walking in the winter on a snowy night.  After I got married and had my son, Nick, we would pack up the playpen and various baby paraphernalia and spend the day at the beach.  My mom amazed me.  She not only kept the house, cooked the meals, did the laundry,  managed a household, and performed her duties as the preacher’s wife, but she gardened, canned and still found time to have fun.  She was an amazing example and I strive every day to be like her. 


To all those mothers out there, enjoy your day - celebrating you and everything you do for your family!  And remember the amazing mother you had and thank her if you can!

No comments: