Monday, March 14, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me!!

One of the benefits (at times, disadvantages) of this high-tech age is the ability to find and stay in touch with old friends, distant family, and casual acquaintances.  With cell phones, e-mail, texting and facebook, hundreds of connections are just a finger stroke away!   I've been technologically "connected" for some time now -- but have never realized just how connected I actually was until yesterday. 

I celebrated a birthday yesterday.  It wasn't a "biggie", as in "30", "40", "45" -- just a run-of-the-mill, no special number, 46th.  In years past, this type of birthday would come and go without much notice.  Maybe a family dinner, a card or two in the mail, a birthday cake and candles.  Which is exactly what happened this year -- church in the morning, dinner with the kids at Texas Roadhouse with an embarrassing "happy birthday" song from a bunch of waiters and waitresses that I don't know and wouldn't recognize on the street, and an afternoon of family time.  Quiet and low-key.  The only difference this year, is that I had no less than 75 "Happy Birthdays" texted, e-mailed and face-booked to me (yes, that is a word)!  I got "Happy Birthdays" from an old Prom date; a kindergarten friend; a spouse of one of my husband's friends; aunts; uncles; cousins; sisters; a brother; nieces; nephews; friends from highschool; co-workers; new friends; old friends; friends from Michigan, Indiana, Florida, Texas, Alabama; kids that claim me as a second mom; moms of kids that claim me as a second mom; and many more! 

So, for someone who claims to be shy, reserved, and "cold-as-ice", I felt very popular yesterday!  Happy birthday to me!!

No comments: