Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Foodie Fodder

I have never had a lot of hobbies or obsessions.  I don’t collect things.  I’m not crafty or athletic.  I don’t get excited about gardening or running a marathon.  I live a fairly quiet existence.  (As in activities, not noise.)  However, I love food.  I love everything about it.  So much so, I’ve recently proclaimed myself a "foodie".  Big-time.  Almost to nerd-ish proportions. 

For those of you who have never heard the term foodie, it's a fairly new term meaning (according to our friend, Mr. Webster):  
    • a person having an avid interest in the latest food fads, or
    • a person keenly interested in food, especially in eating or cooking
straw salad

So, what distinguishes me as a foodie as opposed to just a person with a normal interest in food?  It could be my 24/7 obsession with the Food Network and all those ridiculous food competition shows:  Next Food Network Star, Worst Cooks in America, Cupcake Wars, and my very fave, Chopped.  Then there are the shows that highlight cool restaurants or amazing dishes, like Diners Drive-ins and Dives or The Best Thing I Ever Ate.  And I'd be lying if I didn't admit to crushing on some of the Food Network stars:  Guy Fieri, Ted Allen, Scott Conant . . .

In addition to my obsession with Food Network’s shows and stars, I’m obsessed with the food verbiage.  The chefs throw around words like gastrique, coulis, ceviche, remoulade and chutney.  They discuss molecular gastronomy, purple potatoes and romanesco.    The extent of their food knowledge is staggering.   It makes me want to learn something!  I have a fantasy of attending a culinary institute to study obscure vegetables, classical cooking techniques, food history and Ninja knife skills!  To know that much about anything is absolutely fascinating to me!

I believe my food obsession stems from a basic love of eating, and all it entails.  I love sitting down to a good meal with my family, or even the anticipation of a good meal – whether it’s a planned date to a favorite restaurant, the excitement of trying a new recipe, or just smelling a hearty soup stewing in the crock pot all day.   I also love the emotions and memories that can be wrapped up in a particular dish.  Warm donuts remind me of coming home to my mom's homemade donuts and hot chocolate after a day of sledding.  Beef roast or fried chicken remind me of Sunday family dinners.  Corn-on-the-cob and fresh tomatoes from the garden bring to mind those summer nights when it was just too hot to cook, so we’d eat corn and tomatoes and cucumbers pickled in vinegar and water.  family meal
I know I shouldn’t be so obsessed with food.  I know that I’m too heavy and I need to lose weight.  Chocolate cake is not a necessity; and a good, juicy burger is bad for my cholesterol.  But, I’ve recently adopted a new philosophy, thanks to an entry entitled When Food Attacks!” in my new favorite blog. (Be sure to check it out.)  According to the blogger (or, as she calls herself, “blarger”), food is not “bad” or “good” or “sinful” or “naughty”.  It’s just food.  Period.  So, I can obsess all I want about chutney, ceviche and Ted Allen.  I can wake up in the morning and start day-dreaming about dinner that night.  I can watch four chefs go head to head in a battle of skill, using the basket of mystery ingredients.  I know there are limits and guidelines.  I know I must deal with food in an intelligent, responsible manner.  But, thank you, dear blarger, for reminding me that food is not my enemy.  It’s actually my friend.  A friend that satisfies my hunger, stimulates my curiosity, and stirs my emotions.  I am a proud foodie!

1 comment:

JRose said...

Hey Mary,
Great post!
I thought you might like this link from a food positive nutritionist too. I was dazzled by it!
Eat food. Stuff you like.. as much as you want