Sunday, January 16, 2011

Let's Play a Game

Playing games with my sisters and nieces at a Batterbee Girls' Getaway
I grew up in a game-playing family.  Aggravation, Crazy 8's, Yahtzee, Rummikub, Rack-o, Chinese Checkers, Boggle, Rook, Scrabble . . . you name it, we'd play it.  We'd eat supper, clean up the dishes and gather around the kitchen table.  Sometimes it was a big group of us, sometimes just two or three -- but the competition was always fierce!  We played to win!

The summer before my sophmore year of high school, we moved from a quaint little country town in Indiana with a population of about 3,500 to what I, at the time, considered a big city in Michigan.  I realize now that Jackson, Michigan wasn't really a big city, but to a young, shy girl that did not want to leave her comfort zone, it might as well have been New York City.  My older sisters were all married or in college, so the only ones who moved to Jackson were me, my little brother, and Mom and Dad.  Here I was in a new city:  friend-less, sister-less, and extremely shy!  I was very lonely and unhappy.  But, as is often the case, God used this low point in my life to give me one of the best gifts I could have asked for -- I got to know my mom. 

Rummikub in the backyard:  Phyllis (sis), me, Amanda (niece), and Deb (sis).
Mom and I spent the summer playing games; and, while we played, we talked and laughed and shared.  She told me stories about her life growing up, meeting my dad, first starting out in marriage - things I'd never heard before.  Here I was at 15, and I was actually getting to know her.  There had always been so much going on in our house, so many sisters!  Though it was one of the things I loved most about my childhood, it prevented much one-on-one time with Mom.  But now, Dad was at work, my little brother was playing with his new friends, and it was just the two of us.  We played and talked and laughed the summer away.  Before we knew it, I was back in school, meeting people and making friends.  I developed a social life and began babysitting.  I was a busy, teenage girl.  But that summer forever changed our relationship.  We grew very close, and remained that way until the day she died.

So, play games with your kids.  Spend time with them.  Get to know them and let them get to know you.  Have fun.  Laugh and be silly.  It'll change things.

No comments: