Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Insomnia (ĭn-sŏm'nē-ə)

Insomnia is NOT usually a condition from which I suffer!  In fact, I have been known to fall asleep as early as 8:00 or 8:30 by light of the flickering TV screen.  Also, I'm one of the few people I know who has a problem reading -- I'm usually good for a chapter or two and then I find myself falling asleep.  It’s just that, by the time I get into my ‘jammas to relax in front of the TV, or lie on the bed to read, I’m ready to crash!  Also, I am not a worrier by any stretch of the imagination, and I don’t need to "wind down" or review the events of the day – so when my head hits the pillow, I am O.U.T. --  out!

This completely frustrates my hubby!  He tosses and turns, replays conversations and situations from his day, and worries about future decisions.  It can take him hours to fall asleep!  I usually try to let him get to sleep before I even go to bed.  I've started doing this because, if I should begin what I like to call loud breathing (NOT snoring), he can get so worked up and frustrated that one of us ends up having to move out to the couch so he can fall asleep!  

Insomnia is not a problem I deal with -- as a general rule.  However, every now and then I have a night where my mind spins.  I think about upcoming events, past events, and what to make for supper tomorrow night.  I get too hot and throw off the covers, then too cold and bundle back up.  I lie there and think about my kids and what’s going on in their lives, how bored I am with my job, and how much I’m looking forward to retirement some day. 

Tonight is one of those nights.  I’m wide-eyed and my mind is spinning.  Todd’s out of town, so I’ve got no one to talk it out with.  I’m thinking about my son’s upcoming wedding, the mother/daughter cruise my sisters and I are planning, and the humdrum of my job.  It’s driving me crazy!  I’m tired and I just want to sleep! 

It doesn’t help that both dogs are sprawled out next to me, snoring away.  Now I understand how Todd must feel. 

No comments: